Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Vinnie Van Go-Go's (Savannah, Georgia)


I lived in Savannah in the ‘90s when I was in college. Being a student and on a budget I would always go to Vinnie Van Go-Go’s. Although I was not yet the Foodie that I am today, I do recall them having really good tasting slices of Pizza (that were huge) at an affordable price.
Twenty years later I returned to Savannah for a visit, and much to my surprise and delight it was as if time had stood still… Vinnie Van go-Go’s was exactly as I remembered and the Pizza was just as good, and still at an extremely affordable price.
Located on the edge of City Market, Vinnie Van Go-Go’s must be doing something right if they are still going strong after all of these years. They have a cash only policy and have a bicycle delivery area at no additional charge so locals can stay in and eat out.
Their menu is simple - Pizza by the Pie or the Slice, Spinach Salads and Calzones. Toppings are extra and you pretty much build your own.
We arrived around 10pm on a Tuesday night and the place was packed. We did manage to get a table outside on the heated patio. They still had the plastic awnings that they can bring down when it is really cold out. (Can you tell that I was thrilled to be back and feeling extremely nostalgic about this place?) The place was filled with art students and locals that were out for a Beer. I ordered a Slice with Feta and Broccoli, and my friend ordered his Slice with Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Spinach and Artichokes.
Our friendly waitress brought out our food in record time and that very first bite took me back to my late teens/early twenties. It was so good. Their Pizza has the perfect crust and I love not only how big each slice is but also how generous they are with their toppings.



On our last day in Savannah we were hoping to get another Slice or a Calzone from Vinnie’s before we drove back to Florida, but were saddened by the fact that when we arrived it was about 1:30 and they didn’t open until 4pm. I guess this just means that we will have to make a trip back at some point.
It is quite possible that I am a little biased because of my history with this place, but I feel as though Vinnie Van Go-Go’s has the best Pizza in the world.

Vinnie Van Go-Go's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment