Monday, January 27, 2014

Numero Uno Cuban Restaurant


Located on Orange Ave. just south of Downtown (near Michigan Ave.), Numero Uno Cuban Restaurant is a quaint “Mom and Pop” style eatery that has been a staple for over 30 years.
Over the past twenty or so years I have been there a couple of times with friends who wanted to go but I was never really impressed, however I am much more of a Foodie now and have a much greater appreciation for different types of Cuisine. Now that I have become a fan of Cuban cuisine I decided to return to Numero Uno to see how it holds up to other places.


We were there mid-week for a late lunch and there was only one other table that was occupied. Our friendly waitress took our drink orders and brought us some toasted Cuban Bread. I probably could have eaten the whole Bread Basket I was so hungry.


I first started with an order of Fried Yucca. This is my typical appetizer that I order at Cuban or Puerto Rican restaurants and I must say that this did not disappoint. The Yucca was fried crisp yet soft in the middle and the dipping sauce was garlicky and flavorful.


Then for my entrée I decided on the Pernil de Cerdo Asado (Roasted Pork, hand-carved thin with Grilled Onions and Mojo, served with Plantains (Maduros), Black Beans and White Rice).


Now I really enjoyed the Rice, Beans, Plantains and the flavors of the Pork and Onions. I would have liked the Pork to be a little more on the tender side, and I think if it were shredded instead of sliced it also would have made it more appealing. This being said I would still say that overall I enjoyed my meal (the sides alone were so good I didn’t really even need the meat).


I don’t think I would order this dish again, however their menu is extensive and there are plenty of other things to try if I should go there again!
For a place to exist for that many years in this economy they must be doing something right.

Numero Uno Cuban Cuisine on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment