Monday, October 14, 2013

Jack's Pizza and Wings - Atlanta


The people that I was staying with in Atlanta seem to frequent Jack’s Pizza and Wings just about every day, therefore it was inevitable that we should dine there while I was in town.
They talked it up as a Dive Bar (True) with great Drinks (True) and really good Food (True), however to them it is really a family and far more then just a place to have a Drink or a Meal. I picked up on this the minute I walked in and I see why they love it so much.
As we bellied up to the bar I saw a sign on the wall with one of their signature drinks, and although I normally avoid these types of cocktails it sounded good so I gave it a try.
Bacardi Shark Week (Bacardi Torched Cherry, Bacardi Coconut, Orange Juice, Cranberry and Sprite $5)
It was very refreshing and had just the right kick.
(Later we had several shots of course and got a little drunk, but this was a great start-off cocktail!)


Then on to our order….
I had previously been told that Jack’s had great specialty Pizzas and that you could order them by the slice.
I was also told that I might be interested in what they called the “Soul Food” slice.
(Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Collard Greens and Gravy on a Pizza Crust $4.99)
Honestly, how could I NOT try this?
First of all this photo does NOT do it justice and you also cannot tell (from the photo) just how LARGE the slice was.
And secondly, this was a full Chicken Breast, breaded, deep-fried and sliced on top of a pile of Collard Green-Covered Mashed Potatoes, then slathered in Gravy! It was all of my favorite Southern Soul Food Flavors in every bite!
I consider myself to have a pretty big appetite, and I could only eat about half of it (and then ate most of the Chicken off of course).
I highly recommend trying this, even if it is just to say that you did it.


My friends also ordered food.
One had something that I believe was called Pizza Sticks (a large, thick piece of Pizza cut in to pieces and served with Marinara for dipping)


And the other had 10 Wings, (5 Hot and 5 Jerk)


I didn’t try either of their food, but it looked good and there were no complaints.
It is always a good idea to take suggestions from the locals when dining out of your own area, and in this case it really paid off!

Jack's Pizza & Wings on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment