Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Olde Pink House (Savannah, Georgia)

The Olde Pink House is one of Savannah’s historic restaurants, it is Savannah’s only 18th century mansion, some president read the declaration of independence there, blah, blah, blah…..
Although I appreciate the historic aspects, I was really there for the food.
Earlier that day we were visiting a relative in Savannah and asked her to recommend a nice place to go for dinner. She asked if we liked Seafood, and although I do not, my friend does.
She told us that her favorite meal was from Garibaldi’s and it was a Crispy Scored Flounder. She spoke of the sauce that it was served with and described exactly how it was prepared and made my friend’s mouth water.
She also told us that the food quality at The Old Pink House had been going downhill, but that the people who owned Garibaldi’s had taken it over and “saved” it, bringing it back up to the standards that they once had. (Her words, not mine)
She said that both restaurants had a few of the same dishes including this Crispy Scored Flounder, and that we might want to try going The Old Pink House for the dish as well as the history and ambiance.
We decided to take her advice.
Yes the ambiance was nice. We also had an excellent server. The Maitre De also came over and she was very personable and courteous.
The lighting was extremely dim which is why my photos are not up to par.
Now on to the food….
Our server started us off by bringing a Bread Basket that was filled with Biscuits and Corn Muffins. Having been to Mrs. Wilkes earlier that day I had low expectations, however I actually preferred these. The Corn Muffins were sweet and the Biscuits were similar to the ones my grandmother use to make, so good! We even asked for a second Basket.




For our appetizer we had the Tavern Platter (Fried Green Tomato, Portobello Mushroom, Artichoke Fritters $26.95).
The Fried Green Tomato (my favorite of the three) was served over Sweet Creamed Corn and topped with Pickled Beets and Bacon. The Beets were unexpected and unnecessary but over all I liked the dish.




The Mushroom was topped with Blue Cheese and Truffle Oil. It was also pretty decent if you like Portobello Mushrooms.
The Goat Cheese stuffed Artichoke Fritters were crispy and decadent. They would have actually been my favorite had they not been covered in a Honey Mustard Sauce (just my personal taste).




As for our entrees he obviously ordered the Crispy Scored Flounder, which was served with a side of Grits and Collards ($28.95). He loved both the Fish and the Sides and so the recommendation was definitely a success! He was quite happy.




I knew that there was going to be a lot with the bread and the appetizers so I decided to just have a Salad for my main dish.
I had the Mixed Greens with Caramelized Apples, Pecan, Goat Cheese Fritter with champagne Citrus Vinaigrette ($9.50) and a side of Cheddar Grits ($4.75). The combination of both the Salad and the Grits were just enough and I didn’t feel like I needed anything from the entrée section of the menu…. That would have been too much.



Our bill (with a couple of cocktails) was just over $100 before tip. It was a very good meal with nice ambiance and outstanding service. Being such a landmark in Savannah I’m glad that I finally got the chance to dine at The Olde Pink House.

The Olde Pink House on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Greeting Burger Lover! could you send me an email? I want to invite you to our Orlando Restaurant Blogger group eatlocalorlando@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love the Burger there too at the Pink House over at Savannah GA! If you want to know more about it and other foodie places, check on https://www.visitsavannah.com/article/why-the-olde-pink-house-pink to find out!

    ReplyDelete