Friday, April 11, 2014

Chuy's


Chuy’s is a Tex-Mex Restaurant that originated in Austin, Texas in the ‘80s. They have recently added a location in Orlando on International Drive and it has been generating quite the buzz. 


International Drive is very touristy and so is Chuy’s, so I think this could be a match made in heaven. The place is large and covered (and I mean covered) in the most eclectic and eccentric artwork. There is a huge statue of Elvis as you walk in, lots of bright colors everywhere, and each room has a slightly different theme to it. Imagine if Buca Di Beppo and Chili’s had a baby.




Now as for the Food, the portions are BIG and the flavors are even BIGGER!
As most Mexican restaurants do, they started us out with complimentary Chips and Salsa. Their Salsa was very good but definitely had a kick to it, almost too much of a kick. We wondered if the rest of their Food was going to have this same amount of heat.


I wanted to try a little of everything so I asked the server which was the best Combination Platter. She told me to get The Elvis Presley Memorial Combo (Beef Tex-Mex Enchilada, Cheese Ranchero Enchilada, Chicken Tomatillo Enchilada, a Seasoned Ground Sirloin Crispy Taco & Homemade Tostado Chips dipped in Chile ConQueso $10.99).
As far as each item on the Combo… I don’t know if I really had a favorite. Each one was enjoyable (and yes each also did have that element of heat… for certain people it would be way too much so beware to the people who like it Mild!). I guess if I had to pick a favorite it would be the Taco because of its freshness and its crispy-ness. The Refried Beans were also really flavorful!


There were three of us and we all ordered the same thing – that way none of us would be jealous of the others meal!


Even though we didn’t need it, two of us also ordered the Tres Leches Cake ($5.89).
This is one of my favorite desserts and Chuy’s did not disappoint. First of all the portion was HUGE, easily enough for 2-4 people depending on how hungry. It was rich, creamy and super-sweet. I neatly cut off half of it to take home with me, but the rest of it was easily devoured and fully appreciated.


My thoughts on Chuy’s are this… A great place for tourists and visitors, great prices especially for the portion size, a fun place with quick, friendly service. Beware of a little extra Heat. I doubt that I will visit very often because as a local I don’t like to go to the I Drive area, however I do think that it will do very well considering its Location!




Chuy's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment