Monday, January 30, 2012

McDonald's - Burger King - Wendy's


For quite sometime when it comes to fast food burgers you always think about “THE BIG THREE” McDonald’s, Burger King and Wendy’s. They have all been around for many years and are quite competitive, and everyone has their favorite. I don’t normally write burger reviews about these big chain restaurants, however I am in search of the “Best Burger” and feel that they should not be overlooked. In the past couple of years I have noticed that all three of these restaurants are constantly coming up with new marketing promotions, new menu items, and new business strategies. They all have their “Classic” Burger that has been their staple such as the Big Mac and the Whopper, they all have their Dollar or Value Menu to attract people that are on a budget, and now they each have an upgraded or premium Burger offering better or higher quality ingredients.
I have always thought that my favorite of “The Big Three” was Wendy’s, followed by McDonald’s, and then Burger king would be last. I decided to make a challenge for myself and try the latest “Premium” combo and see if I still rate them in the same order.





Wendy’s new premium Burgers are called HOT ‘N JUICY. They comes in single ¼ lb, double ½ lb, or triple ¾ lb. I decided to try the single combo for $5.79. The Burger has 580 Calories and 1240 mg sodium. I enjoy the packaging. It comes in a stand up box and it is obvious that these Burgers come with higher quality ingredients. The Pickles were crisp, the Bun was toasted and the Beef Patty was really flavorful and delicious. The Natural Cut Fries are pretty good too!





McDonald’s premium Burger is the Angus line. I chose the Angus Bacon and Cheese combo for $7.04. After looking at their website I see that this Burger alone has 790 calories and over 2000mg of sodium. I wanted to like it and thought that I would, however when I left there I was miserable and felt sick to my stomach. The fries were greasy and I didn’t eat all of them, nor did I finish my Burger.





And finally Burger King’s premium Burger is the BK Chef’s Choice Burger A flame-broiled 5.5 oz burger patty, made with USDA certified ground chuck seasoned with salt and pepper, a thick slice American cheese, Naturally-smoked thick cut bacon, Fresh cut romaine lettuce, red onions and ripe tomatoes, our original grill sauce on an artisan bun. This Burger has 650 Calories and 1330 mg sodium and with the combo it came to $6.99. Now I will say I had the lowest expectations for this Burger, because I had the pre-conceived notion the Burger King was my least favorite. However this Chef’s Choice Burger changed my mind, it was totally delicious! It is the sauce that makes it, it’s hard to describe but it is smoky, creamy and peppery and it makes the Burger a stand out!

This experiment has changed my mind about a lot of things.
Winner of “BEST TASTING BEEF” goes to Wendy’s
Winner of “MOST APPEALING BURGER” goes to Burger King
Winner of “HEALTHIEST BURGER” goes to Wendy’s
Winner of “MOST AFFORDABLE” goes to Wendy’s
And the “MOST HORRIBLE” award goes to McDonald’s
I will try not to eat any of these Drive Thru/Fast Food Burgers, however if I do I will go to Wendy’s most often, Burger King if I want a different flavor of Burger, and I will most likely NOT go to McDonald’s any more.
Mission Acomplished!




No comments:

Post a Comment