Saturday, June 8, 2013

Ethos Vegan Kitchen


I have dined occasionally at Ethos Vegan Kitchen ever since it’s old location on lake Ivanhoe. Now that they have moved to Winter Park they have made some changes that have really put it over the top.
They are now in a much larger space, before you ordered at a counter and then your food was brought to you but now it is a full dining experience where a server takes your order. 


They also have a bar with a large and unique Beer and Wine selection.
The main thing I have noticed though is the extended menu!
Before there seemed to me limited choices but now there are so many options, and I really want to try them all.
Now lets step backwards and talk about what Vegan food is, because many people are still unsure. Vegan food is plant-based and contains no animal products whatsoever, No Eggs, Dairy, or Meat of any kind.
This being said, when Ethos offers Chickun (notice the spelling) they are using a Soy or Tofu-based product. They also use Soy-based Cheeses.
Now what I have found at most Vegan Restaurants is that they sometimes compromise their flavor or stick to mostly Salads. Ethos is different and they specialize in classic “Comfort Foods” and have somehow managed to disguise the fact that they are Vegan, providing their customers with very satisfying meals that even a “Meat Eater” will enjoy!


Now on to some of the dishes that I have enjoyed from Ethos.
I often go during the week in the afternoon which allows me to take advantage of their weekly lunch specials.
 

I have enjoyed the Buffalo Chickun Wrap, Spicy Chickun with cool, fresh Greens and a Creamy Sauce, with choice of side item. Definitely a winner.


I’ve also had the All American Burger. Although it wasn’t bad by any means it also was not my favorite. It was a little too bland for my tastes and this is one of the few items from Ethos that I would not order again.
However the Black Bean Soup that I got on the side was to die for. Really hearty and the big chunks of Carrots that were simmered with it really made it stand out. I will definitely order that again!



They also always have a Soup of the Day, a cup is $2.95 and a bowl is $3.95. I highly recommend getting the Bowl because not only do you get a larger portion (for just $1 more) but you also get a slice of their Potato Chive Bread!


Another staple from their menu is the Mac ‘n Cheese ‘n Peas. ($5.95) It’s hard to believe that this is Vegan Cheese because it melts beautifully and is full of Cheesy goodness!


Their Coconut Curry Wrap is also quite a treat! (Grilled Tofu coated with Curried Veganaise and tossed with Celery, Raisins, Walnuts, Coconut and Mixed Greens, wrapped in a Spinach Tortilla with side item $8.95)


In the mood for a Salad? Try their Spinach Salad! (Fresh Apples, Crunchy Walnuts, Plump Raisins and sliced Red Onions tossed with Fresh Spinach and finished with Orange-Ginger Dressing Small $4.75/ Large $7.50) Although this is a rather basic Salad, it is very fresh and the Dressing is very refreshing!


If you have a larger appetite and want a Main Dish I can recommend two dishes.
The first is the Rosemary Chickun (Chickun sautéed in a Rosemary White Wine Sauce. Served over Basmati Rice with Vegetable of the Day and a Mozzarella smothered Tomato $14.95). I can honestly say that I couldn’t tell the difference between this and a real Chicken Breast, from the texture to the flavor it was perfection and would fool anyone.


Then there is my favorite dish of all… Pecan Crusted Eggplant (A slice of Eggplant encrusted with Pecans, sautéed and finished with a Red Wine Sauce. Served with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy and today’s Vegetable $12.95). This is their heartiest dish in my opinion. The Eggplant is crispy and nutty, and the Sauce is sweet and almost fruity. Accompanied with the velvety Potatoes and the Vegetable this dish is completely satisfying!



If you have saved a little room for Dessert you can have on of their homemade Cookies (selection changes daily)


Or the Chocolate Amaretto Mousse (Silky smooth Chocolate Mousse laced with Amaretto, topped with Whipped Cream and Sliced Almonds $3.75).
It is a very decadent treat!


If you are Vegan, Vegetarian or just Open-Minded and yearn for some home-cooked comfort food then head to Ethos and decide for yourself.

Ethos Vegan Kitchen on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I've long loved the Ethos on Lake Ivanhoe, and look forward very much to going to the Winter park location! Newly discovering a gluten intolerance, I'm so HOPEFUL I can find g.f. options as well...as their food is just GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete