Thursday, May 29, 2014

Olympia Restaurant



Way out on east Colonial (right by the 417) is the Olympia Restaurant, which has been around since 1979. I’m never out that way but I was purchasing a Dryer from the place next door and decided to give it a try.




As I walked in I noticed that the place was rather large and had plenty of seating. The décor was definitely dated, and there was only one other table there that day, but I would imagine that they have larger crowds in the evening.

I started with the Saganaki (Lightly breaded, fried Goat Cheese, flamed then extinguished at your table with fresh Lemon $6). I love this dish and it is usually a good indication of how good or bad a Greek restaurant is.




It arrived and was presented with the flaming presentation that I love, however then there was the taste. Traditionally when Saganaki is ignited it slightly “cooks” the cheese and leaves it melty and spreadable, here at Olympia that was not the case. The “Breading” was so think that it just got burned, while the Cheese inside stayed hard. It was awkward to eat and I didn’t enjoy it at all.




I had noticed that there was a lunch special that included a Gyro and Fries for 5 or 6 dollars. I had already committed to eating here, but since I didn’t really care for the appetizer I figured that I would go the inexpensive route and hope for the best.
The Gyro was fine and filled my belly and the Tzatziki Sauce that accompanied it was actually pretty good. The Fries were not good, but who cares?


Will I ever go here again? No
I’m sure they have a decent dinner service, especially if they have been around for this long, but I have Greek Restaurants closer to where I live that I enjoy more so I will go there instead.


Olympia Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment