Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Abeulo's - The Monterrey


I was recently in Lakeland and needed a place to meet some friends for dinner. I knew that they liked Mexican food and since urbanspoon.com gave Abuelo’s such a high rating we decided to give it a try.


The ATMOSPHERE… very large dining area, high spacious ceilings, and the night we dined there they had a magician roaming table to table
The SERVICE… We had a friendly server, more on the service later
The FOOD… Not only do they have everything you would expect from a standard Mexican menu, but they also have many additional house specialties and a variety of enchilada platters

We were seated with menus but it took a while for our server to greet us and take our drink orders. Then it also took a while for her to come back to take our order, and still the drinks took additional time to get delivered. Not a great start, but maybe the food will be good? There were four of us, and although it took a while we were served chips with salsa (four containers of salsa – a nice touch)

I decided on The Monterrey Platter (Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada, Avocado Enchilada, Spinach Enchilada, Chicken Ranchera Enchilada, Cheese Chile Relleno, Crispy Chicken Taco and Quacamole – served with Rice or Papas Con Chile and Refried Beans - $15.29) I thought the price was ok considering this was a lot of food and would be a good way to try a little bit of everything.


Upon delivery I realized that they had forgotten about the Crispy Chicken Taco and the Guacamole, however once I notified our server she brought it fairly quickly.


Both the Avocado Enchilada and the Spinach Enchilada were my two favorite items (much to my surprise) and the Papas Con Chile that I had chosen as my side was also good. Sadly the rest of the items were mediocre at best and quite forgettable.
My dining companions agreed that their meals were not bad, but just ok.
Our bill (four people with drinks) came to under $75, which I feel is rather reasonable, however with an experience that was just average I doubt that I will ever return to Abuelo’s.


Abuelos Mexican Embassy on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment