Thursday, July 3, 2014

Charles Street Dinner House - Mariposa, California



When we checked in to our hotel in Mariposa we asked the lady at the desk for a recommendation for dinner. She told us that the best place in town was Charles Street Dinner House, and she even gave us a card that would get us a free dessert. On our second night in town we decided to give them a try. 




When we walked in we could tell that this place had a long history and was a popular place to go. The service was very friendly and the ambiance was homey. They also had the tiniest restroom I have ever seen, I had to duck my head just to get inside. Anyone who is even slightly overweight would have a difficult time.



On to the meal.


For starters they brought fresh garlic and herb bread to the table. It was really outstanding and the herbs gave it a nice flavor (we even asked for a second basket, which I rarely do).



Then I had the French Onion Soup. It might possibly be the best french onion soup I have ever had. The gruyere covered crostini was placed on top and across the cup of rich, beefy onion soup. It is often placed directly in the soup, which can make it soggy and messy. I much prefer this way and now have a new standard to go by.



After our server's suggestion I decided on the
 Chicken Cordon Blue (roasted chicken breast, layered with pancetta, smoked gouda and fresh spinach, served with soup or salad, seasonal vegetables and choice of potato $20). The chicken was good, not at all like a traditional cordon blue, but very nice all the same. I also thought that the roasted red potatoes were decent but could have been a little tenderer, however the mixed vegetables were perfect and I finished every bite of them.




My friend ordered the special of the day, which was an almond encrusted sole. When it arrived he noticed that there were no almonds, but he still enjoyed it very much.



For our free dessert that our recommendation card earned us we chose the special dessert of the day. It was a strawberry creme brulee, and was not overly sweet which was perfect for the both of us.



I definitely see why Charles Street Dinner House is a favorite with the locals and the people that regularly visit the city.

Charles Street Dinner House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment