Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe



Located in the heart of the very charming downtown Sanford stands Hollerbach’s Willow Tree Café.




You will know it when you see it because where any of the other restaurants in this area might have a busy time, but Hollerbach’s has always got a good crowd.
Originally it was just the Willow Tree Café and from what I understand it was just plain old American Food, but then when they added the “Hollerbach’s” and changed it to German Cuisine business really took off causing them to expand into the adjoining store fronts and now they even have a store around the corner that sells beer and baked goods.




Hollerbach’s always has raving reviews and has won tons of awards year after year.




On certain nights they have a live band, and if you wish to dine at a peek time I would suggest that you make a reservation.



They brought out (2 kinds of) Bread and Butter and then took our order.




Although I am not a Beer drinker, several in my party were and believe me they have quite a selection!




I ordered my favorite thing on their menu (as I have been there many times).
Jager Schnitzel (pounded out, breaded chicken breast, topped with sautéed onions and mushrooms and glazed in a rich pan sauce, served with 2 sides $17.99)
For my sides I got the Gurkensalat (Julienned cucumbers tossed in a dressing made of sour cream and herbs) and Potato Dumplings (with crouton centers covered in Rahm Gravy)
The Cucumber Salad is always my favorite, but I think next time I will go back to the Potato Pancakes as my other side. The Potato dumplings were not bad but just a little “Blah”.
Now I need to stress that this photo does not do justice to how much food this was.
I ended up only being able to finish about half, which meant I got to take home a nice amount of leftovers, which was my lunch the next day.




There were four of us and one ordered the same as me, but in addition we had an order of Hungarian Beef Goulash
(Beef with sautéed onions, garlic, potatoes and bell pepper with a freshly prepared paprika blend, enhancing the astonishing flavor $12.89)
This was also a huge serving with plenty to take home.




And the Two Sausage (Weisswurst) plate with a double order of Spatzle (homemade egg noodles) with Rahm Gravy $10.99.
This is also another favorite of ours when we go to Hollerbach’s.




They also have a large assortment of decadent Desserts to choose from, however we were so full we didn’t have room for any.



So if you are a fan of German Cuisine, or just ready to try something authentic that the locals swear by, then be sure to check this place out.
You’ll be glad you did!

Hollerbach's Willow Tree Café on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment