Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Egg & I



The Egg and I is part of a large chain that is located in about half of the 50 states.
Their concept is basically that of a simple diner that is open for breakfast and lunch, offering standard “diner style” food with a concentration on egg dishes.
I have been there twice now and have experienced an atmosphere that is friendly and welcoming.




First thing that I noticed (and loved) was that when they brought around our Iced Tea they brought out an entire Carafe! 
This is great because I notice at these types of places are seldom quick enough (for me) on refilling my beverage. 
This eliminates the problem and is a nice touch.




On my first visit (thinking it was going to be spectacular because of the menu description) I ordered the Wild Mushroom and Veggie Hash Skillet.
(Roasted Mushrooms, Peppers, Onions, Roma Tomatoes and Spinach with Hash Potatoes. Topped with mixed cheese, two Eggs any style and Tomato Hollandaise Sauce, served with an English Muffin)
When it arrived I was extremely underwhelmed.
The picture says it all…. Beige!
The vegetables were practically non-existent, and the “skillet-shaped plate” was basically filled with mediocre Eggs and Potatoes.
It was kind of a disappointment, however looking around at other peoples plates I saw several things that I thought looked pretty good.
Maybe I had just ordered the wrong thing?



I waited a couple of months and then returned with a different friend to give it another try.
This time I did better and I must have ordered the right thing, which in this case was the Greek Frittata.
(Diced Ham, Artichoke Hearts, Roasted Roma Tomatoes, Asparagus and Portabella Mushrooms. Topped with Basil Pesto and Havarti Dill Cheese, served with Grits and an English Muffin $8.99)
I actually didn’t want any meat that day so I had them leave off the Ham.
This was the breakfast that I had been searching for the first time.
The flavor combination was interesting and everything was fresh and delicious.
The Pesto and Havarti really gave it a nice touch!


My friend ordered the Egg-Ceptional Omelette.
(Sausage, Diced Ham, Bacon, Onion, Tomatoes, Portabella Mushrooms and Melted Cheese, topped with Sour Cream, served with Ranch Potatoes and English Muffin $8.99)
He really enjoyed hid breakfast as well.



I am really glad that I returned to The Egg & I. They are by no means my favorite “Greasy Spoon” in town, because I feel like there are too many “Mom and Pop” places that have a little more character, however for a national chain I must say that they are pretty darn good.

The Egg & I on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment