Friday, June 29, 2012

Momofuku Ssäm Bar


I was given recommendations from two different people who both said while in New York I should give Momofuku (ssäm bar) a try, so when I was with some friends in the East Village recently we made it a point to go there.


The ATMOSPHERE… small and very busy, casual and loud
The SERVICE… Our server Rachel was helpful and suggestive
The FOOD… Eclectic menu featuring Raw Bar items, small dishes, Country Hams, Fish and Meat dishes


There were three of us… with me not really eating Seafood, another not eating Meat and then another who will eat anything. With this dining arrangement we decided to just order several things and attempt to share as best we could.

I can really only comment on the Non-Seafood dishes which were the Steamed Buns (Pork Belly, Hoisin, Cucumbers, Scallions - $10) and the Spicy Pork Sausage and Rice Cakes (Chinese Broccoli, Sichuan Peppercorn - $19)


The Steamed Buns were quite simple. The Pork Belly was moist and tender but it was the Hoisin and the Scallions that really gave the “mini-sandwiches” a nice flavor. The combination was a little sweet and a little salty, and although Pork Belly is often too “fatty” for me I really found this to be delicious.


The Spicy Pork Sausage and Rice Cakes was actually a rather large dish, and since there were only two of us eating this dish it became the bulk of my meal. Crispy and Spicy are the two words that come to mind, in fact any more heat and it would have been to much for my palette, however in small bites with lots of water in between I actually really enjoyed it. This dish would be a must for anyone that likes it hot!

Don’t go to Momofuku Ssäm Bar for a quiet cozy dinner, but if you are wanting an interesting place with fine, fresh food and don’t mind sharing a table with people that you don’t know then this is the place for you.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment